Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Girls on the Run McHenry County

Here's a little personal history.  I know this post isn't about me; it's about an awesome organization and an awesome group of girls.  But bear with me.   About a year ago, I started exercising.  I didn't set out to become a runner, because that was crazy talk.  Totally unrealistic.   So when I was fit enough to run for 3 miles, I was so proud.  Beyond proud, actually.  Completing a race is not just a physical accomplishment.  Yes, it does require getting into shape and building muscles and endurance.  But, really, it's a mental accomplishment.  It requires hard work, effort, perseverance, discipline, confidence, the power to push yourself, and strength. 

For me, one year ago, in my 30's, that was a huge accomplishment.  I only wish I could have done it when I was younger.  And that's why I'm so proud of these girls.  Every one of them.  That's why I get chills when Laurie gives her pep talk.  It's not just about running.  It's about being a strong person, and being confident and believing in yourself.  And that's why I get tears in my eyes when I'm at the finish line.  Because these girls have accomplished something really huge.  And hopefully they have learned that the best accomplishments require work, most times, a lot of it.  But, it's worth doing.  And they're worth it.   GOOOOOO GIRRRLLSSSS!!!!


In a little while, I'll post information on viewing all the photos from the race. Also, posters of the collage are available. If you're interested, please let me know.

2 comments:

sherry boles~ said...

Great collage, Julie! You really captured so much excitement in the images!

Yvonne said...

How fun!